- NHS AfC: Band 5
- Full and Part Time
- Royal Derby Hospital
- £24,907- £30,615 pro rata
- 01/12/2020 23:59
There has never been a better time to come and work at University Hospitals of Derby and Burton NHS Foundation Trust. The Trust was formed on 1 July 2018 to bring together our five hospitals – in Derby, Burton, Lichfield and Tamworth – to provide the highest quality care to patients across southern Derbyshire and south east Staffordshire.
With over 13,000 members of staff you can expect huge variety and new opportunities every day! Our staff go above and beyond and take pride in caring for our patients.
University Hospitals of Derby and Burton NHS Foundation Trust is fully committed to promoting inclusion, equality, diversity and human rights in employment and delivery of its services. The Trust is committed to providing an environment where all employees, patients, carers and visitors experience equality of opportunity by means of understanding and appreciating the value of diversity.
As a Trust we promote an inclusive environment and welcome applications from a diverse pool of talent and backgrounds. All individuals are valued and given every opportunity to succeed based on merit.
The Trust actively encourages applications from members of our Black, Asian and Minority Ethnic communities. These groups are under-represented in our organisation, and it’s important to us that our workforce reflects the diversity of our communities as much as possible.
Join us and help make a real difference to our Trust.
Here’s more about the role and what we’re looking for;
Theatre Practitioners, HCPC registered Operating Department Practitioners (ODP) and NMC registered Nurses/ Anaesthetics and Scrub practice
We are an innovative and expanding Theatre Service at the forefront of patient care, with a well-established enhanced recovery programme.
We are currently expanding Theatre capacity by introducing various projects. There will be 2 new Orthopaedic Theatres,a Private Patient Theatre and 2 new theatres at the Burton Site Treatment Centre.
Derby Private Health is already home to a private chemotherapy suite, a fully equipped ophthalmology clinic and a minor operations room, as well as 11 on-suite, inpatient rooms. A Hybrid Vascular Theatre is also due to open in 2019, this will allow Surgeons and Radiologists to carry out more complex procedures in a dedicated suite.
Our service operates 36 Theatres across the Royal Derby Hospital site, 16 theatres at the Burton Site and 1 Theatre at Sir Robert Peel. We are continually growing and on the lookout for enthusiastic individuals passionate about delivering safe effective care.
We are looking for experienced practitioners with Anaesthetics or Scrub experience to work in our operating theatres.
We are also able to offer opportunities to Newly Qualified ODPs and registered nurses who are interested in a change to Theatres.
Experienced Theatre Practitioners:
- You will possess a strong track record in providing outstanding care and in return can expect career development and be welcomed into a supportive surgical team.
Newly Qualified or Nurses wishing to change in Career:
We are also offering positions to newly qualified ODPs and registered nurses interested in a change in direction and future career within Derby theatres.
Whatever your background, we have a team of clinical facilitators and preceptors employed to support you in practice and help design an individualised programme of experience to enable confidence and competence in practice. We support excellent rotation experiences to a wide range of specialities and provide support to allow you to expand your knowledge, experience and interest.
We offer excellent professional development courses and extended roles e.g. Mentorship, Surgical First Assistant, cell salvage and anaesthetics for nurses.
You will be working with and learning from some renowned and highly respected Surgeons and Anaesthetists. Derby has a good reputation for being at the forefront of surgical technology: from the Da Vinci Robotic Surgery System to other cutting-edge technology.
You will provide planned & emergency care for patients undergoing surgery across a range of departments:
Trauma & Orthopaedic (T&O)
- As an Orthopaedic Team, we have one of the shortest lengths of stay in the country for primary hip & knee replacement. We cover a wide range of Orthopaedic Specialities, including complex arthroplasty revision surgery, major spinal surgery, arthroscopic ligament reconstruction, upper limb, hand, foot & ankle & trauma.
- As a General Surgery Theatre team members works across A&E resus, CT scan and intra & inter hospital transfers, ECT, interventional radiology, vascular, colorectal, upper GI, bariatric, ENT and an advanced maxillae- facial specialities. We have 9 theatres within the department and we are in the process of establishing a Vascular Hybrid Theatre due to be completed in 2019. We also have a well-established dedicated robotic Surgery Theatre.
- Our recovery team covers General Surgery, Gynaecology, Urology and Orthopaedic Theatre suites. The department provides first stage recovery to patients from Trauma & Orthopaedics, General surgery, Gynaecology/ Obstetrics, Urology, Maxillofacial & ENT specialities.
- There are 4 Gynaecology Theatres, which include the breast pathway, a dedicated patient reception area and recovery unit. Our gynae service covers a range of services from day case through to radical cancer surgery. The theatre is supported by a specialist gynae ward and day case area. Attached to the labour suite there are also 2 obstetric theatres with a team staffed by the Gynaecology and Paediatric Theatre teams.
- In paediatrics and adolescent surgery, all relevant sub-specialities are available. There are 2 theatres in close relationship to the children’s wards; the theatre area has a dedicated recovery unit sympathetic to children of all ages.
- We have 4 day case surgery suites which are all based in our modern treatment centre these are:
Ophthalmic Day case
- The unit contains 3 day case theatres with a ward area. We perform a range of ophthalmic procedures including cataracts, retinal surgery and ocular plastic surgery. We also provide operating time for the Hands and Pain services.
General Surgery Day Case
- The unit contains a nurse led pre- assessment clinic, 3 day case theatres with a ward area. We have the option to rotate staff between the ward and theatre area to offer a range of experience. All surgical specialties are catered for including plastics and dermatology.
Urology Day Case
- This suite consists of 2 operating theatres, a 4 bedded recovery, 2 outpatient clinic areas, a lithotripsy treatment room and a 15 bedded ward. It is staffed with 31 WTE qualified and unqualified staff. We are developing and expanding this service.
Hand Day Case
- The Pulvertaft Hand Unit is a world renowned centre of excellence for Hand Surgery. The unit contains a nurse led pre- assessment clinic, 3 day case theatres with a ward area.
Derby Private Health
- Derby Private Health, the dedicated private patient unit at the Royal Derby Hospital, will be opening a new, purpose built Operating Theatre offering a facility for our private business. The theatre, along with an associated recovery area, will accommodate a wide range of procedures including general, bariatric and orthopaedic surgery, giving staff the chance to work across a broad spectrum of specialist areas developing and maintaining a wide and varied skill base. All of our profits are being reinvested back into our Trust, supporting care to all our patients. Derby Private Health is part of the wider Trust and you will be supported as part of our theatre teams employed within the NHS.
The successful candidate will be expected to work within a multi-professional team, liaising with and providing high quality care for patients. You will need to possess excellent communication and inter-personal skills with the ability to promote a learning environment and be flexible to change.
Due to COVID-19 and the Governments guidance on social distancing your interview may be carried out via Microsoft Teams. If this is the case you will be notified in advance so that if you don’t have the app you can download it either on to your phone or computer/laptop. The download is free of charge. Where your interview is face to face, the Trust will ensure social distancing. You will be required to wear a mask on all UHDB premises. If you have Covid-19 related symptoms or are shielding and have been invited for a face to face interview please request a Microsoft Teams interview.
Trac emails can sometimes go in to your junk mail so please check this for feedback on your application.
You must have appropriate UK professional registration.
This post is subject to the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act (Exceptions Order) 1975 and it will be necessary for a submission for Disclosure to be made to the Disclosure and Barring Service.
Documents to download
To print a document or save it to your computer, please click with your right mouse button on the document title and select "Save Target As...". You can then save the document in a suitable place on your computer ready to print it out. Clicking with the left mouse button will open the document in a new window (if your web browser can do so).
Further details / informal visits contact
Amanda Haywood: Amanda.firstname.lastname@example.org / 01332 786293
Jon Clarke: Jon.email@example.com