Medical Laboratory Assistant / Healthcare Science Assistant
- Pre & Post Analytics
- Band 2
- Full time - 37.5 hours per week
- Royal Derby Hospital
- £18,870 - £19,918 pa
- 04/07/2022 23:59
As a trusted organisation at the heart of our communities, we recognise the important role we can play in supporting the public, patients, our own people and local partners in achieving the best of health for the local population and the communities in which they live by providing Exceptional Care Together.
Our fundamental Values of Compassion, Openness and Excellence underpin how we intend to work as a Trust and the associated behaviours are becoming embedded in all aspects of how we work.
With over 13,000 members of staff you can expect huge variety and new opportunities every day! Our staff go above and beyond and take pride in caring for our patients.
University Hospitals of Derby and Burton NHS Foundation Trust is fully committed to promoting inclusion, equality, diversity and human rights in employment and delivery of its services. The Trust is committed to providing an environment where all employees, patients, carers and visitors experience equality of opportunity by means of understanding and appreciating the value of diversity.
As a Trust we promote an inclusive environment and welcome applications from a diverse pool of talent and backgrounds. All individuals are valued and given every opportunity to succeed based on merit.
The Trust actively encourages applications from members of our Black, Asian and Minority Ethnic communities. These groups are under-represented in our organisation, and it’s important to us that our workforce reflects the diversity of our communities as much as possible.
Join us and help make a real difference to our Trust.
Here’s more about the role and what we’re looking for;
You will support the Biomedical Scientists by performing a wide variety of laboratory tasks. Duties vary between departments and include the sorting, preparation, processing and handling of blood, urine, tissue and bodily fluids.
You should have an interest in science, be self-confident and motivated. You must possess a wide range of skills demonstrating good numeracy and literacy, a high standard of verbal and written English, keyboard data entry skills and attention to detail. We are interested in staff with a can do attitude who like to be busy.
You will also be required to sit or stand for extended periods of time whilst preparing samples and inputting data, therefore the ability to multi-task and work flexibly are essential.
Your shifts will be set within a 24/7 shift system and there will be a requirement to work nights, weekends and bank holidays on rotation with other team members
NB HCPC portfolios cannot be supported in this area as there is insufficient exposure to the main Laboratory.
Previously interviewed applicants need not apply.
Main duties of the job
Your duties will include:
- Reception duties
- Sample preparation
- Data entry
- Housekeeping duties
- Participate in quality & audit work
Closing date of applications: 4 July 2022
Interview date: 16 July 2022
Working for our organisation
As a trusted organisation at the heart of our communities, we recognise the important role we can play in supporting the public, patients, our own people and local partners in achieving the best of health for the local population and the communities in which they live by providing Exceptional Care Together
In return we will offer:
- Development opportunities, including both professional and leadership development
- On-going support through every step of the way from recruitment to when you join our team and beyond.
- A variety of other staff benefits including employee assistance programme, discounted gym membership, onsite fitness classes, car schemes
Key Facts about our Trust:
- Our hospitals see more than 4,000 outpatients daily
- We see more Trauma & Orthopaedic outpatients than any other Trust – over 3,300 per week
- An average 860 patients are seen in A&E every day – 6th largest in the country
- Our hospitals admit more than 220 emergency patients daily.
- We carry out more planned surgical operations than any other Trust in England with almost 50,000 operations taking place in our 52 operating theatres
- We are one of only 5 Trusts nationally with more than 50 operating theatres
- We carry out more than 300 elective procedures each working day
Detailed job description and main responsibilities
Please see attached Job description and Person Specification. To apply please click APPLY FOR THIS JOB – this link will take you to the TRAC Recruitment Site. You will need to register if you do not already have an account.
- GSCEs English, Science and Maths (C/4 or above)
- IT qualification – GCSE or ECDL
- Data Entry experience
- Demonstrable laboratory assistant experience
- Previous customer service roles
- Clinical laboratory experience
- Non Clinical laboratory experience
Documents to download
Further details / informal visits contact
- Gareth Moss
- Job title
- Operational Coordinator Derbyshire Pathology
- Email address
- Telephone number
- 01332 788214
If you have problems applying, contact
Recruitment Team, Workforce Management
Rehab Block, Level 3
Royal Derby Hospital
- 01332 783342 / 07385 367225